Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day

"Punxsutawney Phil, America's favorite groundhog, predicted an early spring when he failed to see his shadow Wednesday morning at Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney, Pa."  Read the full article here.

 In honor of America's silly tradition, we made a little pop up groundhog. I saw this super cute and easy idea here. There is also step by step directions on Enchanted Learning.

Alex helped by cutting the "grass" (green craft foam). This was his first time using scissors and he did great. He really enjoyed it too. Now I have to go get a pair of kiddie scissors so he can do more practicing. The ones he was using are pretty sharp and he had close supervision.





He also helped me glue the pieces of felt together to make our groundhog and he glued on the eyes. I glued the "grass" to the cup with a hot glue gun. We only had plastic cups in the house. I didn't have any popsicle sticks either so we used a plastic drinking straw.




So pretty sure Phil didn't see his shadow because it looks like this on most of the northern east coast. We just got another foot of snow between yesterday and today.




 





We are really hoping Phil is right and spring will come early this year. 

1 comment:

  1. What an adorable craft! I hope he's right too. I've had enough of Winter and am REALLY looking forward to Spring.

    ReplyDelete